Transdermal therapeutic systems are patches that can be applied to the suitable part of the body effectively and discreetly. The active substance enters the bloodstream transdermally, i.e. through the skin.
Diverse technologies for wide-ranging applications
A wide range of TTS technologies from LTS make it easy to ensure the ideal dose for any active substance.
The drug molecule should not exceed a certain size (approx. 500 g/mol) so that it can penetrate the skin effectively. To date, there are 20 active substances known to fulfil this requirement. LTS processes twelve of these for its various partners in the pharmaceuticals industry. Experts have predicted that there are at least 30 other active substances that could be suited to transdermal delivery.
The advantages of LTS patches
- safe, reliable, precise and pain-free application
- easier to treat children, as well as older patients and patients requiring complex care
- ideal for patients who have difficulty swallowing
- longer intervals between doses, particularly with multi-day patches
For pharmaceutical companies:
- efficacy of active substances with low oral bioavailability
- controlled, even application – no peak concentrations
- easy to manage dosage by varying the area of the patch
- no loss of active substance due to avoidance of first-pass metabolism by the liver
- potentially requires significantly lower amounts of active pharmaceutical ingredients (active substances) than for tablets or solutions
- no breakdown of the active substance in the gastrointestinal tract
- improved compliance on the part of patients
- additional options for differentiating a product range